Tessa Spanton SWA Artist, tutor, writer



TESSA SPANTON SWA ARTIST, WRITER AND TUTOR

Welcome to my blog.
This is where I write about some of the things that inspire my work,
news of exhibitions and works in progress

Wednesday 21 December 2016

Praia da Falésia Algarve



This was painted using Atelier slow drying acrylics on a canvas 100 x 75 cm.
 I found the slow drying properties of this paint really helpful when working on such a large scale.
 I also created some texture on the foreground rocks by incorporating some sand from the beach, held in place with Atelier's binder medium.
 In an earlier blogpost I wrote about 2 acrylics that I did of the colourful cliffs there. The view is from Portobay Falesia hotel up on the cliffs.
I used photos I took when staying at Olhos d'agua in the Algarve and bringing together some of my findings from earlier explorations in the form of sketches and watercolour studies that I did when there.
The painting was varnished using a satin finish.

 The photos below show different stages during the painting.


The big blank canvas


Under painting


close up: more work on the sea and a group of figures on the beach 


The finished painting is now on its way to a new home in time for Christmas.

#portobay #falesia #acrylics #original painting

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is an absolutely fabulous painting Tessa, I could sit in front of it and imagine I was on that beach, especially on a cold grey day like today!

Colours and Textures said...

Thanks Cath. We can dream. Now you are by the sea you can look forward to Summer days on the beach, the days start to lengthen from today.