Tessa Spanton SWA Artist, tutor, writer



TESSA SPANTON SWA ARTIST, WRITER AND TUTOR

Welcome to my blog.
This is where I write about some of the things that inspire my work,
news of exhibitions and works in progress

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Botanical Celebration

I am delighted to have had 5 silk paintings accepted by the Society of Botanical Artists; four will be on show at their exhibition ” BOTANICAL CELEBRATION”. The theme is inspired by the celebrations for the Queen's Diamond Jublilee and the Olympics and some of the flowers painted will have some kind of link with these celebrations.

Open 20-29th April 11-5pm every day, admission free. Westminster Central Hall, Storey’s Gate, London SW1H 9NH for more information click here The exhibition will be opened at the Private View by Elizabeth Banks, President of the Royal Horticultural Society. Some of the artists will be demonstrating their painting techniques throughout the exhibition.

Iris spuria Silk Painting (C) Tessa Spanton

The painting above is one of the paintings to go in this show. I am a member of the Kent group of the British Iris Society and was invited to an open day to bring some of my work and to draw some of the flowers on display. I was given a big bunch of irises to bring home which included several different Iris spuria flowers. these are what I used for this silk painting. During the day I drew a Space Ager iris. I chose it because of its unusual appearance. In place of a beard this iris had a little spoon shape emerging from its lower petals.

Strelitzia reginae silk painting (c) Tessa Spanton

This beautiful flower was named after Queen Charlotte of Mecklenber Strelitz, Queen Consort of George 111. She was an enthusiastic amateur botanist who helped expand and develop Kew Gardens.

This flower is a favourite of mine to paint. The one in my painting was growing in Madeira and glowed with sunlight streaming through it. It seems to me to have an almost regal bearing with its vivid crown of orange yellow petals.

Th

The s

10 comments:

baahar said...

Congrats on being accepted ! Your paintings are lovely and deserve every attention they get

Zuda Gay Pease said...

They are beautiful!! Congrats!!

Terriea Kwong said...

Congrats! Your paintings are master pieces. My eye opener. Love this iris and the other watercolor painting of Azaela.

Sue Paine said...

Congratulations Tessa!

Unknown said...

Fantastic news Tessa, I'm not surprised though, your work is just beautiful, and you deserve every success.

Annuk said...

Oh CONGRATS Tessa!!!!! Well deserved!

Tanya said...

Wow! That is wonderful news! You had worked hard and you absolutely deserve it! Very well done! Iris is my favourite!

Erika Price said...

That's fantastic news Tessa, well done & congrats! I love all your painting, and that Iris one is especially gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous Tessa! they are beautiful.

Colours and Textures said...

Thanks for your lovely comments.