Tessa Spanton SWA Artist, tutor, writer



TESSA SPANTON SWA ARTIST, WRITER AND TUTOR

Welcome to my blog.
This is where I write about some of the things that inspire my work,
news of exhibitions and works in progress

Tuesday 1 January 2019

Jumpstart a drawing habit


click on the photos to enlarge

This was a project organised by Marion Boddy Evans, an artist on Skye, over on her blog and over the course of a year.
Marion has also produced a book for the whole year with the prompts and spaces for the drawings which can be bought from here so you can start it at any time.



It started in January 2018 with 31 Word Prompts to Jumpstart a Drawing Habit in 2018
details here 
There is a word prompt given for each day for the month. Each month the grid was available to print from the blog.
 I liked the idea that I could print it on ordinary paper, that it could be a quick doodle or a more detailed drawing and to aim to draw more days than not. So no pressure and easier to keep it up for the year.

A short time before this started I had visited a Angela Curror's Open Studio and was inspired by her tiny 1 in square detailed drawing done one a day over a year. She used a 1in sq viewfinder to home in on something to draw. I went with Elizabeth, another friend, She bought 2 handmade Japanese style books that Angelaa had made and gave one of them to me. We decided that we would both fill the books with little drawings using a viewfinder. I started the 2 projects at about the same tome. I had filled the book by the end of January and wrote about it in this post click here

At the end of each month we were invited to send Marion a photo of the month's drawings to go on her blog. I enjoyed seeing what other people had done, the different styles and different interpretations of some of the words. I particularly liked a January set done in ink and incorporating lettering.
I started with watercolour and a a touch of black ink from a fine tipped pen, as the months went by I used more ink lines and less colour and swapped the watercolour for coloured markers.
I started out doing one a day while on holiday. When I got back home I would miss a few days but enjoyed doing them as a group.



My grand daughter Amelie loves drawing and became interested. She was 6 at the time. I offered to print her a grid for the month but she said no she would make her own grid and choose her own words.


Later in the year she decided she would like a grid printing for her. I enjoyed seeing how she interpreted the words and how quickly she did them. Some of the words were new to her.

                               October 2018



She has now got a folder for the grids and other projects we have done.


3 comments:

Stephanie Guy Fine Art said...

Anything that gets us motivated to draw every day is good in my books, well done for keeping going, you've produced some lovely pages there. Big thumbs up to Amelie, her drawings are fab!

I did a year of daily drawings a while ago and really saw my skill level increase. At the moment I'm taking a more relaxed view, keeping an experimental journal that's small enough to carry round along with a pencil case, gouache, and glue for found items to be included. Great fun.

Colours and Textures said...

Thanks Stephie. Amelie will be pleased to hear that.I love looking at children's drawings they are so fresh and uncomplicated.
I remember you doing your daily drawings. i like having something small enough to carry round too.

Zona eSports said...

thankss